Monday, 30 July 2012

Hunter's Star - Which Layout?

This is part of a Hunter's Star I've pieced for my cousin. She now has to decide on the layout. I'm partial to A or B myself. It will end up to fit a queen size bed.

Option A - traditional layout

Option B - not so traditional

Option C - totally random
I know how I'd quilt B, not sure of A or C.
Hop on over to Patchwork Times to see what everyone else is up to.

Sunday, 29 July 2012

What I've Been Up To

Today I cut all these triangles and sewed the pile that's sewn. I hope it's half a quilt.

the pile is about 3" tall in total.
And I've been knitting a scarf - for decorative purposes, not warmth. This is the yarn I bought while shop hopping with friends in mid-July.

And the bunny is eating the green apples in the backyard.

Wednesday, 25 July 2012

September Homework Complete, New Iron

All my Dear Jane homework for the summer is now complete - 1385 pieces (when sewn my way, which is a bit different than Jane did it - she has too many Y seams and odd shapes, this round especially).







J10 - there are 16 hand appliqued melons on here

K2 front - 36 tiny squares

K2 back - I twirled the seams and it lays really flat and I like the look of the twirled seams


Left Side, 13th from top
Now, I need to get back to some of my other WIP's.

And I bought a new iron too. My other one was getting too hot so I think the thermostat is shot in it - I've had it for about 14 years I think. Didn't throw it out though, just in case. The new one is a T-fal 3476 - my old one was a T-fal too. So far, so good.

oops, a bit blurry

Monday, 23 July 2012

Monday, Monday

I got a few more blocks finished today - no photos yet. I've linked up my August homework to Judy at Patchwork Times.

Saturday, 21 July 2012

August homework complete

1174 pieces cut and sewn (and rarely sworn over).



T5 - top, 5th from left

Friday, 20 July 2012

I've been busy








And lest you think all I do is sew, I've also been to the gym 3 times this week, several appointments, and I steam cleaned the upholstery in my car.

Sunday, 15 July 2012

A Book Finished and Dear Jane

 I finished reading A Game of Thrones on Friday night. It was okay, but I didn't think it was as great as all the hype is about it. I did buy the second book though.

I finished my Dear Jane homework for July. I've used 974 pieces to date - that seems like so many! I used a different background for the photos - my cutting mat as opposed to my sewing table - I'm going back to the sewing table.


D4 Attempt #1 - it's too small with Y seams so I re-sewed without Y seams




G7  This is the very centre of the quilt



Tomorrow I'm going to re-start sewing a quilt for my cousin - it is for her wedding and she's soon to celebrate her 5th anniversary so I'm a bit behind.

Monday, 9 July 2012

Dear Jane

I got two more blocks done today.


I tried a new technique to get a better scant 1/4" seam - I followed the seam guide on my bobbin cover, rather than the edge of the 1/4" foot. My seams are better, but my machine didn't like that scant line too much - it chewed some of the fabric, even though I have a single hole needle plate in. Anybody got any suggestions for getting consistent scan 1/4" seams (I use a Janome 4100).

Head on over to Patchwork Times to see what everyone else is up to.

Tomorrow will be sewing for practicality - an organizer for my car.

Friday, 6 July 2012

Blue Quilt

I've been on summer vacation for 1 week and have finished a quilt - this is a record for me. This one is for my uncle who is in the hospital. I got the pattern here ; I saw it on this blog. It took an afternoon to piece which is nice. Mine is smaller than the pattern calls for - 12 squares instead of 16. I used 4 fat quarters for the blocks - which is just enough provided your fat quarters are true fat quarter and don't shrink/skew when pre-washed. The binding is the same as the backing. I bought 2 yards of white which was too much - by about 1/2 a yard. The large squares are quilted with a leaf pattern which is sort of hard to see - I used a variegated blue thread.

The white borders are a leaf on a vine done freehand. I'm happy with how they turned out. I drew the spine of the vine on with washable blue pen before quilting so that I had something to follow.

This quilt will be delivered sometime next week.